Friday, April 06, 2007

3 hour tour

At around three yesterday, Margie, Chad and I decided to go for 'a nice hike' to shake off our clinical presentations from that morning. Chad suggested Bangs Canyon (which I tried to find a GPS map of so you could see it, but never did find). This seemingly worked out perfectly because it is still close to home, has water, and shade. The puppers like that combo.













Looking back it was totally Margie and I that
almost had us on an episode of survivor.





After 30 minutes into the canyon Chad talked of turning back. It was Margie and I that hadn't broken a sweat yet and pushed to keep going. The water was higher then usual, and because of that......we lost the trail.....a lot after that. The hike became a rock climbing expedition through the canyon. I was good until I watched my mountain goat dog slide down a rock face we were climbing. This is where we hit the 'no turning back, lets hope we're on a loop' point. Margie and I were picking up our dogs and passing them to lower rocks. Right about then, Chad says 'Did anybody else see on the news where search and rescue had to climb in here and get a guy out?'







Ummmm.





Looking back we were all delirious. It was like being on an insane Satan stair master for 3 hours while intermediately bench pressing a wet wiggly dog.
A power bar thats been in my camelback for god knows how long kept Margie from having to feast on wildlife.


It was agreed that if one fell, the others got to do the x-rays.


It wasn't looking so good for me.

















This is Margie and Chad looking for the trail.

The views and vegetation were fantastic though.


Obviously, we made it out. After 3 1/2 hours we came out of the canyon onto a Jeep 4x4 road that of course we had to hike straight up to return to civilization. You would have thought the three of us had been in a POW camp the way we were talking. My jello legs miraculously kept going.....

when I get out of here....I'm going to have a burger and fries and a really cold beer.
I considered at this point going Goonies style down this waterfall into the water.



I was completely late for a coaches meeting where I was a representative for our school. Yea, who thought up THAT bright idea?
I came in the door smelling like wet dog, wobbly legged and willing to eat anything that I didn't have to chase.

'Thanks for entrusting me with your children"

2 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

It looks like a sea anemonae got stuck in a tree.

And plus 10 for the Goonies reference.

Anonymous said...

Wow....... I guess if you are going to cash in your chips it's good to have the last thing you see on the planet be something great. On the other hand, like Tiff, I sure would have liked to see a pic of you "going Goonies". THAT would have given your Dad cause to truffle shuffle for sure.