Sunday, April 08, 2007


Easter.
It's my favorite.
Coloring eggs and eating chocolate all day......
Its a chocoholic art majors day of peeps bunny worship.
When we were kids there was an all out-no holds bared- Easter egg hunt. Grandma must have boiled 6 dozen eggs for us to dye, hide, crack, and then watch her wash the dirt off of and make egg salad from. It took me a long time to be able to eat egg salad or deviled eggs that holiday knowing that a few of those eggs were in the street gutter. But that woman did not waste ANYTHING.
There was another Easter egg hunt at the nursing home where my grandma Mary was a nurse later that day. My older brother Ryan, (the Law Dog) would run around and only pick up the plastic eggs with money.
Grab. Shake. No money? Toss behind him and keep running.
Lawyers.
Back to the house egg hunt. My uncle Tony (who at the time was the unmarried swinging bachelor) would come in and pick a certain color of egg that all of the kids had been hand dying that morning on the poker table with spoons. Uncle Tony was the BEST EASTER EGG HIDER EVER!! Finding his token egg color was a coveted honor. He was so good at it, I remember Grandpa Bus (really his name) shaking his cut off stumped pointer finger at us one year.....
"You kids better find them all this year....I ran over an egg with the mower 2 months ago from last year."
I bet it was Tiffany who leaned into me and whispered...
'I bet grandma somehow used that egg.'

4 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

I'll bet she did use it, too.

I'm not blaming Grandma Mary, or anything, but I hate any variety of boiled egg. Egg salad, deviled eggs... yuck, yuck, yuck! I don't think I was near the egg-hunter due to my strong aversion to what they were going to get turned into.

Anonymous said...

Pickled eggs!!!!!! Do you remember her 5 gallon glass jars full of bright red pickled eggs?? I guess it was a "Rockford thing" because they used to keep vats of them up at the bar. Never been more grossed out in my life. Almost enough to keep me from marrying into that family, but then Bus started bar-b-queing chicken. Yummmmmmmmmm.

Joe and I spent some time today remembering the Easters at Grandma's and Grandpa's. What lovely memories. What lovely traditions.

Happy Easter, my Easter bunnies... bawk bawk!

Me said...

Starting a new blog:

www.aprotagonist.blogspot.com

Always enjoy your and Tiffany's rambling.

Be Well.

Anonymous said...

Chris (your cousin, in case u forgot) says... I'm glad we all have fond memories of the "Great Rockford Easter Egg Hunt" I almost forgot about Shanes Nursing Home. Thanks for bringing those memories back. Hope everyone had a happy easter!!

btw... just wanted to let u know that I read your blog almost religiously. Very nice and entertaining.