Saturday, May 05, 2007

Seriously, I can't make this stuff up

My GOTR race was early this morning. This is my team from this season......




Who needs to stretch out when you can limbo your sign?






One of my girls Mattie is vision impaired, and at the awards banquet on Wednesday shocked us all when she asked me if I would pace the race with her. Looking back on it I think it is the squeaky running shoes. Something that has always made the girls laugh each season. 'Your not ever sneaking up on anybody coach Amanda.' I think now she could hone in on the noise and keep a steady pace better.


Having always paired Mattie with another team member during practices, I was really taken back when she asked. Taken back meaning sobbing in front of all the parents....oh honey....(sob)...of (gasp) course (sob sob gasp gasp) I (gasp) will (sob/gasp/hiccup)



You get the picture.






I made her a sign for this weekend, because she told me once at practice that she hated wearing her 'Blind Child' neon vest in public.












Her awesome mom made us all very cool tiaras. Each girls tiara had something written it. Mine said Hottchimamma. Its a game that was made up that the girls love to play.....Each practice they would run around begging to play, yelling coach Amanda...Hottchimamma!!!! And I'd say...'What'd you call me?' And they thought that was the funniest thing ever, because it was said EVERY practice after that.

Each one of the girls on this team were awesome, and Mattie just humbled my world every practice just by being there. She said to me during the race........'I sometimes wonder if I'm awake or if I'm dreaming........This isn't a dream right?' All I could muster up was....'Yes mame'


I was pretty silent the whole time with a few 'your doing great babe', and verbalizing turns and adjustments on the course. She got a lot of encouragement from the other racers when she passed them. I knew if I cried I would be battling sobbing in public, as well as taking away my running air supply. This girl was having nothing on slowing down either.


In my 3 seasons coaching, I have never heard a crowd roar like it did when we come through the 50 yard shoot. I told her we were at the marker and that kid dropped down about 9 gears and suddenly I found myself fumbling to keep up with the tiny string that linked us together. She crossed the balloon arched line with her arms up over her head, and as they scanned her number this tiny little gasping voice said..... 'I am Living A Dream.'

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its not fair to do that to a hormonally-challenged woman in her 38th week of pregnancy. *sniff*

Anonymous said...

Aren't the lessons we get to learn amazing sometimes? We start out hoping that we have something to offer others and in the end learn that they have given us immeasurably more. What a gift all of the girls you have met during your association with GOTR have been. None more than those who face challenges each day and inspire by just showing up. I think your "vision impared" sweetie sees far better than most. I am so very proud of you.

As you face finals this week remember that you too are "living the dream"

WanderingGirl said...

Plus 10 for the tiaras, and plus 20 for the sign. I hope she keeps it forever! I also like Cookie's collar.

Anonymous said...

Yea....... why didn't someone give my grandpuppy a tiara that said "Diva Teva"???????

Anonymous said...

Life is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I've never been more proud of you then right now! You really do amaze me min. Love you sis,
Ryan

Amy said...

You made me do the ugly cry!

Zoo Keeper said...

thanks. now I'm crying, at my desk, at work.... very touching. we all remember that special coach we had as a kid. You're going to be hers for sure!
good for you for coaching!