Monday, March 05, 2007

Dork of 1999

Just recently I heard from a guy I knew in college. Actually when I first met him I had a HUGE crush on him. Amy will testify. The two of us went up on a curb and into oncoming traffic because he was running down the street without a shirt on. Almost killed the both of us.

Good god that boy glistened in the sun.

Ahem. Sorry.

Hearing from him reminded me of a funny story. To be more specific, of one of my MANY uncool moments in front of boys. A time when I was neither as smooth nor as cool as I am now.. Oh please god let me be cooler by this now.

Anyways I don't have anything to write about so I thought you might enjoy a story......

Starswipe to 1999

South Carolina nights can have that warm/cool feeling around 9pm. That: you can't sleep because it's too warm and there is electricity in the air, but outside a storm is coming, so there is a mysterious coolness to the dark. Something about that pre-storm weather always made me want to run. (note* take into consideration that the pup and I were both 8 years younger then)
We took to the storm, but no more then two blocks from returning home, South Carolina turned on another thing it was famous for. Torrential downpours.

THAT folks is how I found myself under the awning of his apartment.

Here is where my cool level came into play when he invited me in until the rain let up. We chatted for just a bit as we knew each other from being students in the art department, although he was in the type A graphic design, and I was a first year photography major, a mess of kayos with a white puppy that followed me everywhere..

In my 'oh my god I can't believe I am in HIS house', he started explaining something about his brother working on a star wars movie, and

'yea, uh huh, I know exactly what your talking about with the spaceships, and sure the TS 180.....yea I know which one your talking about, its amaaaazing'

I'm such a dork.

Somewhere in all of my trying to make it believable blabber, he shows me (note* I'm getting the 10 foot apartment tour at this point, and am standing in his bedroom drenched and looking like a skinny wet rat) a collection of star wars space ship memorabilia on single shelves assorting the wall.

'Oh yea, and that one is soooo rare, uh huh'

Then I did it. I reached up with my uncool skinny drenched in monsoon water hand and touched a spaceship. And the shelf collapsed. Onto the shelf below it, and to the one below it. Seriously, spaceships were whizzing past my head as I screamed out and tried to catch anything that was falling in the downpour of star wars.

Wait was that chewbacca?

Damn it i knew something, but when the rare 780T-star whizzer or whatever the hell its called, hit the floor I knew that my moment was lost. I went to speak and something else crashed behind me. In my shocked-panicked- I wish I could combust into flams on the spot, I opted to put my hand over my mouth and stand there wide eyed looking at him. He said nothing, just stood there with his mouth open as I started slowly backing my way out of the room, crunching broken aircraft as I went.

I opted for the monsoon over spending another moment in the embarrasing cronicals of amandaland, quickly deciding that my crush was over the second i shook a wing of something off my running shoe as I welcomed the rain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've never told me that story. I'm glad its early and no one is in the office yet because I almost wet myself laughing at that one. You and Teva are so R2D2 and an ewok its funny!

bakerquest said...

buwahh haa haa

WanderingGirl said...

Dude, you are totally going to Star Wars hell for that one. And when I say Star Wars hell, I mean a Star Wars conference where you are going to be stoned for ruining the last ever Star-whizzer.

Amy said...

Yeah it was a hopeless crush by that point. At least you didn't get over to the other side of the room where his Superman memorabilia was.
Oh and I don't care if he was a swimmer he should NOT have shaved his legs. Sorry TMI....

WanderingGirl said...

By the way, I was telling this story at work today. Paper Boy looked up and said (incredulously) "There's no 780T- star whizzer."

Geek.