Saturday, November 04, 2006

morning race


So I had my ladies 5k this morning. Little monkeys were running around in 40 degree weather in shorts and a tee shirt. Luckily the rain stopped when the race started and it turned into a very nice day for a run......or in my case walk/run. I always volunteer to be the last one across the finish line for the team, that way I get to stay with the slowest girl, and she gets to say that she beat her coach in a race. I love to watch all of the racers... I find this pace perfect. My slowest runner happens to be my favorite too, and to cross the finish line with her was a complete honor. She has battled with motor skill problems since a car accident as a child, and it is humbling to me to watch her pace out in an awkward stride and cheer on other girls as she passes them. I teared up a good 4 times during the race watching her run.

There is a part of me that looks in a crowd as I hit the final stretch, watching the parents cheer on their kids, seeing the pros come back to cheer on the girls. It's a complete feeling. A validation of my time as the girls coach.

3 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

Loving you and your girls from jamaica 'mon!!!

Amy said...

I'm glad somebody is running/limping...

Tiff- put down the pipe 'mon. It's back to reality tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome, Amanda! I love that kind of work!
~Nicole
p.s. even my word verification word had "wow" in it today!