Friday, November 24, 2006

Turkey and a Hawk

Ok, so your going to love this story. Love it I tell you!!

On my great tour of thanksgiving dinners, tonight's grand finale was spent with Ponch and his family.

Now. Before I get into the great amandaland story, I must say that the food was great, and the card game 'hand and foot', was really fun to play with everyone. But when we first arrived Ponches mom starts telling us about the hawk that has been preying on her bird feeder.

'It was chasing one of my little birds and flew right into the window....broke it's neck.'

Me, being genuinely curious and having never seen a hawk before, asks if I can go see it. Sure right? Ponch, his dad and I head down to the truck.....ya know, because now it's in a box. Somewhere down the lane it kind of slips out that the hawk may not be dead. Mostly dead, ya know but was still breathing when he put it in the box.

Yea, so guess what wasn't dead when they opened up the box.

'Thats not dead.' I look over at Ponch. He looks at the ground. Immediately he knows that this isn't going to be easy for him.

"Well, I thought it was dead (his dad says), just a little bit of breathing when I picked it up. Then I went to snap his neck and the bugger bit me! So I threw it in that box! Then we started on the turkey and I forgot it was out here. I'm sure it's wing is broken. I'll do it later.'

'Of course it bit you. You were trying to snap it's neck!'

Somehow now, in mass confusion and persuasion, the hawk (who I'm now referring to as the falcon) is put in the large cat crate, wings looking just fine. Ponch isn't making eye contact with me anymore. The two of them quickly realize that it was a bad idea to let me witness this. So we return inside discussing how this falcon it the killer of many a birds at the bird feeder, and eats them right in front of Ponches mom. Agreed. Falcon is a killer, and has disgusting eating habits.

Falcon is now residing under my steps in the cat crate until morning when I can safely relocate him in another valley. That's right. I stole the falcon out of the back of the truck as I was leaving. I'm like running and underground falcon railroad. I'll take pictures of it tomorrow when it's light out and we're on our freedom run/ witness relocation operation. Ponch of course knows, as I made him an accessory.........

'Don't even bother putting your seat belt on..(I said to him as we are pulling out of the driveway).

He sighs, shakes his head and zipped his jacket back up.

6 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

Nice work, Min. Nice work. It's about time Ponch got introduced to the cult/family circus you were raised in. We call dibs on Christmas.

WanderingGirl said...

Oh, and find that falcon a little bird helmet to reduce the chance of future head injuries. What that poor bird must have thought when he woke up in a cat carrier... "I'm Batman!!!!"

Anonymous said...

Free the Falcon! I think you should name him Mandela. And, I think it is very closed minded of Ponches mom to want to kill the falcon for eating pretty birds! I say dive bomb that cardinal and have a little song bird for dinner Mandela! Riteous move Min. Love you,
Ryan

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your brother is willing to defend the hawk in a court of law if necessary. I do feel I need to point out that no matter where you release Mandela he will find his way home to the birdfeeder. Maybe Tiff's idea of a helmet was good, along with some little bird keflar equipment like Ponch wears when he fights the bad guys.

Anonymous said...

Maigh,
Don't forget our Rents read the blog so sordid details may be too much for the old girl and boy.
The Brother

Anonymous said...

another Amanda story for ya...
I love it!
~Nicole