Sunday, June 17, 2007

Fathers day

I pretty much planned my day around going to walmart when it wouldn't be busy.





My logic was....dads have to be home by 5 to fire up the grill.








With my list in hand, I was in and out in an hour. I know. Not my best time either.




Because of the 99 degree heat and my extra window AC waiting to be carried downstairs to the car...I found myself standing in front of the fan isle. Yes. Tall fan was on the list. As I'm lifting this over sized box into the cart, the only other person in a 4 isle radius sits in her little auto drive cart in front of me spilling over the sides, and she says to me....




"I hope you have a handy husband at home because that's the hardest one to put together."




I pondered for a second how she would know that and pictured a house with a hundred fans in it.



"well do you?"




seriously? Feeling slightly offended and instantly reminded that I need to swing by isle 87 and get Midol, I turned around after wrestling the box into the cart.








"No. But I am Joe Kings daughter, so I'll do just fine."








Within two minutes of getting everything out of the box, I had to stop and get duct tape. This made me laugh....I truly am my fathers daughter.....not because I HAD to use duct tape, but more so that the duct tape roll was still in the vw bus, so I had to go with the emergency duct tape stash. The base had a crack in it, and I was tracking a trail of sand through the living room. Tape. Fixed.


Then, as I screwed in the last bit and boxed the cardboard pieces back up, out fell a few extra pieces. Yup. Totally my fathers girl.






I'm sure they're just extra because the fan is running fine....




Happy Fathers Day Pop.

5 comments:

dabrew3 said...

Great story! Just snap your fingers the next time there's a training camp in town and you'll have a line of guys waiting to help you with that fan.

Anonymous said...

Never listen to lazy women riding power scooters in Walmart... I mean... seriously...

what a nice tribute to your dad.

well, hi, amanda, remember me?! I just finished up my ultra busy year being superwoman to the special ed kiddos at the elementary school on the overseas military post over here in Germany so I haven't been blogging much. But now it's summer!!! I hope to catch up some on your witty blogs.

see ya 'round,
~Nicole

Anonymous said...

p.s. still catching up... I really liked your Amazing Blind Runner story.

~Nicole

Zoo Keeper said...

what is it with dads and duct tape???

Anonymous said...

http://www.news4jax.com/video/11246079/index.html

A little out of date for your blog but still relevant