Monday, March 27, 2006

Everything is under control

The Betty Ford clinic picked me up promptly at 8am.

Today I've spent the majority of my waking hours running from town to town, meeting with some of the girls mothers in a last minute attempt to get their registration forms for the race turned it. Palisade doesn't look too bad at 8:30 in the morning. All the meth addicts must be in their hidden corners having crack candy dreams and twitching in their sleep. But who am I to talk....the Betty Ford wagon is circling the block as we speak.

For anyone who is interested in running the 5k for a great cause (AKA: me and my girls) please visit
www.girlsontherungv.com and register, or if you can't make it feel free to make a sizable donation. The race isn't until May 6th, so you have plenty of time to train or make a sign & come cheer us on.

Some background info on the story I have to tell today: On the 30th there is a silent auction fundraiser called the Flip Flop Fling for the Girls on the Run. Very cute, semi-formal with flip flops, all proceeds go to the organization. Before Heather left we were discussing this event & Heather foolishly asked me in front of the girls if I have a date. If you've ever seen 13 9 year olds flock into a conversation, it's similar to a clip I once saw on the Discovery Channel where the young descend in on the old and kill them. I thought I can put a positive spin on it about being confident and comfortable enough to attend an event by yourself.... Nope....Not a chance. Those girls were on me like.....Well, like Betty Ford on my hidden liquor stash. It is how every practice has started for the last 2 weeks. Me...Ladies, how are CSAPS going? (as we sit in a circle stretching out before the run) Them...'ok/easy/today was hard/I fell asleep....Whatever' inevitably a few start to whisper and then get louder.......Me...'whats up?' Them (always two or three at once)....'do you have a date yet?' Me...I don't think I'm going to take a date, and if you ask again, we're running 6 extra laps. (which by the way has not phased them one bit)

So fast forward to today. Im in the Hollywood Video parking lot in Clifton when Taverhlys mom pulls up with her registration form. Jumping out grabbing the form Mrs. Tahverlys mom says......'So Amanda do you have a date for the fundraiser yet? The girls mentioned over spring break that you didn't and we thought maybe you could take Tahverlys uncle. He hasn't been out of the house in a while.'


Seriously. That's at least an extra 12 laps for them all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is she an 8 year old pimp? She needs to start running with a furry hat and a cane.

Winter Park Amy

Amy said...

Word gets around way to fast in that town. This can not be a good thing for you Amanda. And I say you give the uncle a chance...if he tries to get frisky you can just slap him with your flip flop.

WanderingGirl said...

two questions...
1) is the uncle hot?
2) are they rich enough to have a kid named Taverhly? Only rich kids can have names like that.

If the answers are yes and yes, go for it.

Anonymous said...

That's so nice what you're doing for the girls. I left a few comments on a few other past entries so I wanted to make sure you got 'em.

So thanks again for stopping by my site (come by any time!), and thanks for inviting me over! ~Nicole

Anonymous said...

p.s. I LOVE all your Snoopy pictures!!!
~Nicole

Anonymous said...

Okay! I'm all caught up to where I originally started! I can prove that cuz I see my own comments!

(what am I talking about? I originally started reading your blog in March, so I have read March to May. Tonight I started at the beginning and read December to March (hope you don't mind). It's 2:30am now.)

~Nicole