Friday, June 30, 2006

Not as earthy as I thought

I'm up this morning in my usual morning attire, cut off sweat pants, tank top, my favorite Totally Wired coffee/bike shop hoodie. Not to be left out is the craziness that we know as my muppet hair, pressed back into a very stylish headband all the while letting the ends poke out like a porcupine ready to fire. My phone rings. It's early, must be mom. Nope. It's the dentist office downstairs. They have someone coming in to spray for the bugs. 'What bugs?'
Oh we have cockroaches downstairs.
Sweet, like I needed to know that.
Before I can even protest pesticide spraying in my house there is a knock on my door. I hang up. Open the door. There is a guy in a Budweiser t-shirt holding a green tank and a metal spray hose. Instantly the King of The Hill song pops in my head.
(I look out to the parking lot....Please let me see a giant roach on the top of a van please! Nah, just a Honda civic with the company logo on the side. Damn)
'This will only take a moment'

"Whoa there big man, hold on. What are you spraying downstairs, is it harmful my dog, and I think I'll pass on it being sprayed in my apartment. I'm against the whole chemicals flying around my apartment thing." (meanwhile my fearless attach dog is wiggling like a jello shooter holding her Eyore doll in her mouth) I look down at her and shake my head, she better be high on the fumes for this kind of behavior.

He looks confused. After all it is 8 am and my coffee intake is peaking and the above sentence came out really fast along with the black woman 'stop' hand held out in front of me. The visual of me and my muppet hair is a total bonus.
(suddenly I'm not the only one on the porch on a coffee buzz.)

'Um, Ok, Where do I even start with this. First, It is not harmful to pets, it's a (blah diddy blah blah ) combination of chemicals. If you are completely against spraying I understand, but I can tell you first hand that if I don't spray the roaches will migrate to the area that has not been protected. Regardless if you have seen them before now. I'm sure you'll be fine living with roaches.

'Ok then, Please come in.'

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good decision. From the sounds of Cookies welcome, she may have seen what you hadn't! I am willing to go completely commando when it comes to living with bugs or rodents. That's my definition of "better living through chemistry".

Amy said...

i Say good call too...although I am not as brave as Sally. Amanda I am sure you can attest to that if you can remember the praying mantis incident. Don't you judge me!

miss king said...

I have an emotional scar from the praying mantis incident..

WanderingGirl said...

Please go to my blog to see the muppet hair. Sorry Min.